Here are some more tips from choosemyplate.gov:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
I really like this one. Ever heard of the book about how french women are skinny, or something to that regard? I remember hearing about it once. They eat very decadent foods, but don't get overweight. The idea was that they ate smaller portions of really great foods, and they enjoyed it so there was no guilt involved. It kept them from overeating, or emotion-eating and they got to eat great food. They didn't eat low-fat or fat-free and then eat more because it wasn't as yummy, or they thought they could because it had less fat. I read something similar once that said for many foods, it isn't worth getting low-fat or fat-free because they substitute it with other things that are even worse for you, or you overeat the food because you think it's better for you. So you might as well get the real deal because it will taste better, you can enjoy it more, and just watch your portions. Which takes us to #2.
2. Avoid oversized portions.
This is mostly a self-control thing. Although if you eat out a lot, you have to be much more aware, since most places where you eat-out the portions are huge. I don't eat out very often at all. Usually it's a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary. But even at home, you have to be careful. That's where I like to think of the visual they give you on their website. Make at least half your plate fruits and veggies. And beware of the size of your plate! If you have large plates, don't eat more just because your plate looks empty! Look at how much food you have, not how full your plate is. Or get smaller plates!
No comments:
Post a Comment